BigTop Phase2 - Circle the Wagons
James Beedy
2018-03-01 00:32:40 UTC
Hello,

In no attempt to downplay the legitimacy of the BigTop charms, I want to
call to attention the need to circle the wagons back around and bring them
current.

I've been diving in lately trying to get these things deployed to a bare
metal cluster, and have found a few things that need attention in order for
the charms to better fit deploys to metal.

The BigTop charms are lacking support for:
- spaces
- storage
- sensible configs exposed
- reactive updates

Possibly there is already work going on behind the scenes somewhere
addressing these things, if not, possibly we can can get an agenda together
for what needs to be done and get to it.

I'm not entirely sure if anyone is even actively maintaining them anymore,
or if this is it?

I would be entirely willing to help with this effort, I also have a few
others that are interesting in learning the ecosystem and helping get these
Hadoop/BigTop things into tip top shape.

Either way, lets bring these charms back to life!

~James
Tom Barber
2018-03-01 00:45:30 UTC
Hey James,

Actively maintaining them? Kevin is Mr Big Data! ;)

There is/was a bit of a community drive a few months ago to bring a few
of us in to help out. It's not got very far yet, but mostly cause of
$dayjob stuff and other priorities but there is some community effort
Kev will be happy to include you in and as you seem to have a need for
some of this stuff more than other folk I'm sure having watched on IRC
for the last few days, you'd be happy to help drive in parts.

They aren't going anywhere, and from a Spicule side they are core to
some of our offerings going forward so we'll be devoting cycles to them,
we're just getting our eggs, ducks and baskets aligned first.

Tom
--
Spicule Limited is registered in England & Wales. Company Number: 09954122.
Registered office: First Floor, Telecom House, 125-135 Preston Road,

All engagements are subject to Spicule Terms and Conditions of Business.
This email and its contents are intended solely for the individual to whom
it is addressed and may contain information that is confidential,
privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure, distributing or copying.
author and do not necessarily represent those of Spicule Limited. The
company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted
by this email. If you have received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by reply email before deleting it from your system. Service of
legal notice cannot be effected on Spicule Limited by email.