Upgrading charms to 16.01
Pshem Kowalczyk
2016-01-28 21:38:35 UTC
Hi,

I've tried to upgrade keystone to the new charm version (from liberty).
I've updated the source:

juju set keystone openstack-origin=cloud:trusty-mitaka

and scheduled an upgrade:

juju upgrade charm keystone

but the charm upgrade fails:

2016-01-28 21:36:13 ERROR juju-log FATAL ERROR: Could not derive OpenStack
version for codename: mitaka

What am I doing wrong?

kind regards
Pshem
James Page
2016-01-28 21:48:42 UTC
Hi Pshem
Post by Pshem Kowalczyk
I've tried to upgrade keystone to the new charm version (from liberty).
juju set keystone openstack-origin=cloud:trusty-mitaka
juju upgrade charm keystone
2016-01-28 21:36:13 ERROR juju-log FATAL ERROR: Could not derive OpenStack
version for codename: mitaka
What am I doing wrong?
You need to upgrade the charm first, and then set the configuration option
as the old version of the charm does not know about mitaka.

You can resolve this by doing:

juju upgrade-charm --force keystone
juju resolved --retry keystone/0 (or whatever the unit name is that failed)

Hopefully that should fix you up.

Cheers

James
Pshem Kowalczyk
2016-01-28 22:43:19 UTC
Ok,

force-downgrade doesn't seem to work:
***@maascontroller:~$ juju upgrade-charm keystone

ERROR already running latest charm "cs:trusty/keystone-33"
***@maascontroller:~$ juju upgrade-charm --force keystone
ERROR already running latest charm "cs:trusty/keystone-33"

I ended up removing each unit and re-adding it. This has resolved the
keystone issue.

I have tried that method with another charm (glance):

***@maascontroller:~$ juju set glance
openstack-origin=cloud:trusty-mitaka
***@maascontroller:~$ juju upgrade-charm --force glance
Added charm "cs:trusty/glance-30" to the
environment.

that has resulted in exactly the same error:
2016-01-28 22:40:39 ERROR juju-log FATAL ERROR: Could not derive OpenStack
version for codename: mitaka
2016-01-28 22:40:39 ERROR juju.worker.uniter.operation runhook.go:107 hook
"config-changed" failed: exit status 1

So I think the only way is to blew away a service unit and deploy a new one.

kind regards
Pshem
Post by James Page
Hi Pshem
Billy Olsen
2016-01-28 22:45:57 UTC
Pshem,

I'm curious if switching would work for you...

e.g. juju upgrade-charm --switch cs:trusty/glance-29

Thanks,

Billy
Post by Pshem Kowalczyk
Ok,
ERROR already running latest charm "cs:trusty/keystone-33"
ERROR already running latest charm "cs:trusty/keystone-33"
I ended up removing each unit and re-adding it. This has resolved the
keystone issue.
openstack-origin=cloud:trusty-mitaka
Added charm "cs:trusty/glance-30" to
the environment.
2016-01-28 22:40:39 ERROR juju-log FATAL ERROR: Could not derive OpenStack
version for codename: mitaka
2016-01-28 22:40:39 ERROR juju.worker.uniter.operation runhook.go:107 hook
"config-changed" failed: exit status 1
So I think the only way is to blew away a service unit and deploy a new one.
kind regards
Pshem
Post by James Page
Hi Pshem
Post by Pshem Kowalczyk
I've tried to upgrade keystone to the new charm version (from liberty).
juju set keystone openstack-origin=cloud:trusty-mitaka
juju upgrade charm keystone
2016-01-28 21:36:13 ERROR juju-log FATAL ERROR: Could not derive
OpenStack version for codename: mitaka
What am I doing wrong?
You need to upgrade the charm first, and then set the configuration
option as the old version of the charm does not know about mitaka.
juju upgrade-charm --force keystone
juju resolved --retry keystone/0 (or whatever the unit name is that failed)
Hopefully that should fix you up.
Cheers
James
Billy Olsen

***@canonical.com
Software Engineer
Canonical USA
Michael Nelson
2016-01-28 23:34:29 UTC
Post by Pshem Kowalczyk
Ok,
ERROR already running latest charm "cs:trusty/keystone-33"
ERROR already running latest charm "cs:trusty/keystone-33"
I ended up removing each unit and re-adding it. This has resolved the
keystone issue.
openstack-origin=cloud:trusty-mitaka
Added charm "cs:trusty/glance-30" to
the environment.
2016-01-28 22:40:39 ERROR juju-log FATAL ERROR: Could not derive OpenStack
version for codename: mitaka
2016-01-28 22:40:39 ERROR juju.worker.uniter.operation runhook.go:107 hook
"config-changed" failed: exit status 1
So I think the only way is to blew away a service unit and deploy a new one.
James' point above was that you need to upgrade the charm *before* you set
the config to use mitaka. The error you are seeing above is on
config-changed before the charm upgrade even happens, as the old charm
doesn't know about mitaka.

If you haven't already blown away your glance service, you can set the
openstack-origin back for glance, resolve the config-changed error, then do
the upgrade first..
Post by Pshem Kowalczyk
kind regards
Pshem
Post by James Page
Hi Pshem
Pshem Kowalczyk
2016-01-29 00:15:58 UTC
I worked it out as well :-)

My final workflow is this (for charms that support the openstack-upgrade
action):

1. Set the managed upgrade flag
action-managed-upgrade=true
2. upgrade the charm:
juju upgrade-charm
3. Set new origin
openstack-origin=cloud:trusty-mitaka
4. uprade each unit
juju action do unit/0 openstack-upgrade

kind regards
Pshem
Post by Michael Nelson
Post by Pshem Kowalczyk
Ok,
[...]
Post by Pshem Kowalczyk
kind regards
Pshem
Post by James Page
Hi Pshem
Pshem Kowalczyk
2016-01-29 02:17:14 UTC
Is upgrading ceph from one source to the other supported as well, or does
the source only work for new deployments?

I did this:
***@maascontroller:~$ juju upgrade-charm ceph
Added charm "cs:trusty/ceph-43" to the environment.

and then:
***@maascontroller:~$ juju set ceph source=cloud:trusty-mitaka

but that didn't really upgrade ceph (monitors in my case):
***@juju-machine-0-lxc-0:~# ceph -v
ceph version 0.94.5 (9764da52395923e0b32908d83a9f7304401fee43)

***@juju-machine-0-lxc-0:~# dpkg -l | grep ceph
ii ceph 0.94.5-0ubuntu0.15.10.1~cloud0 amd64
distributed storage and file system
ii ceph-common 0.94.5-0ubuntu0.15.10.1~cloud0 amd64
common utilities to mount and interact with a ceph storage cluster
ii libcephfs1 0.94.5-0ubuntu0.15.10.1~cloud0 amd64
Ceph distributed file system client library
ii python-ceph 0.94.5-0ubuntu0.15.10.1~cloud0 all
Meta-package for python libraries for the Ceph libraries
ii python-cephfs 0.94.5-0ubuntu0.15.10.1~cloud0 amd64
Python libraries for the Ceph libcephfs library

I've jumped onto each machine and manually updated the source to:
deb http://ubuntu-cloud.archive.canonical.com/ubuntu trusty-updates/mitaka
main

and then dist-upgraded the machine and it updated as expected to 9.2:

***@juju-machine-0-lxc-0:~# ceph -v
ceph version 9.2.0 (bb2ecea240f3a1d525bcb35670cb07bd1f0ca299)
Post by Pshem Kowalczyk
I worked it out as well :-)
My final workflow is this (for charms that support the openstack-upgrade
1. Set the managed upgrade flag
action-managed-upgrade=true
juju upgrade-charm
3. Set new origin
openstack-origin=cloud:trusty-mitaka
4. uprade each unit
juju action do unit/0 openstack-upgrade
kind regards
Pshem
Post by Michael Nelson
Post by Pshem Kowalczyk
Ok,
[...]
Post by Pshem Kowalczyk
kind regards
Pshem
Post by James Page
Hi Pshem
Darryl Weaver
2016-02-01 14:29:48 UTC
Hi Pshem,

I've seen that bug too and just tested a kilo to liberty upgrade in my lab.
So, I've submitted a bug report here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/charms/+source/ceph/+bug/1540376

Feel free to add to it.
Post by Pshem Kowalczyk
I worked it out as well :-)
My final workflow is this (for charms that support the openstack-upgrade
1. Set the managed upgrade flag
action-managed-upgrade=true
juju upgrade-charm
3. Set new origin
openstack-origin=cloud:trusty-mitaka
4. uprade each unit
juju action do unit/0 openstack-upgrade
kind regards
Pshem
Post by Michael Nelson
Post by Pshem Kowalczyk
Ok,
[...]
Post by Pshem Kowalczyk
kind regards
Pshem
Post by James Page
Hi Pshem
Post by Pshem Kowalczyk
I've tried to upgrade keystone to the new charm version (from
juju set keystone openstack-origin=cloud:trusty-mitaka
juju upgrade charm keystone
2016-01-28 21:36:13 ERROR juju-log FATAL ERROR: Could not derive
OpenStack version for codename: mitaka
What am I doing wrong?
You need to upgrade the charm first, and then set the configuration
option as the old version of the charm does not know about mitaka.
juju upgrade-charm --force keystone
juju resolved --retry keystone/0 (or whatever the unit name is that failed)
Hopefully that should fix you up.
Cheers
James
Best Wishes,

Darryl Weaver
+44 (0)7770 968825
***@ubuntu.com
IRC: dweaver on Freenode, #ubuntu-uk or #darrylweaver
James Page
2016-02-02 07:26:48 UTC
Post by Darryl Weaver
I've seen that bug too and just tested a kilo to liberty upgrade in my lab.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/charms/+source/ceph/+bug/1540376
Currently the behaviour of changing the source config option on the ceph*
charms is not equivalent to changing the openstack-origin option on the
OpenStack charms.

I've commented on Darryl's bug report with a proposed solution of using a
upgrade action to allow an upgrade to be rolled across units within a
cluster, rather than changing the config causing an upgrade on all units in
parallel, allowing for an upgrade without and outage in the cluster.

Regards

James
James Page
2016-02-03 09:18:14 UTC
Pshem Kowalczyk
2016-01-28 21:49:21 UTC
This is what I get:

***@maascontroller:~$ juju upgrade-charm --force keystone
2016/01/29 10:43:02 warning: discarding cookies in invalid format (error:
json: cannot unmarshal object into Go value of type []cookiejar.entry)
2016/01/29 10:43:04 warning: discarding cookies in invalid format (error:
json: cannot unmarshal object into Go value of type []cookiejar.entry)
ERROR already running latest charm "cs:trusty/keystone-33"

This is a staging environment, but I'd prefer not to wipe it away if
possible.

Should I force-downgrade it first and then try again?

kind regards
Pshem
Post by James Page
Hi Pshem