16.04 OpenStack charm release
Liam Young
2016-04-22 09:01:59 UTC
Hi All

We are pleased to announce the 16.04 release of the OpenStack charms.
Highlights include:

* Full Ubuntu 16.04 support
* OpenStack Mitaka Support on 14.04 and 16.04
* Ceph MON charm
* Cinder Backup charm
* Nova/Neutron separation
* Pause/Resume actions
* Internal API endpoint usages support
* Juju 2.0 Network Spaces support
* Keystone v3 API support
* Keystone + mod_wsgi
* Nova LXD support
* OpenDayLight support
* Hardening

For more details please see the release notes here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/OpenStackCharms/ReleaseNotes1604

A big thank you to the many people who contributed to the Openstack
charms over the last cycle,
Liam
ed bond
2016-04-22 09:07:10 UTC
Liam,

Great news! Is there a bundle that shows these uses yet?

- Firl
Hi All
For more details please see the release notes here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/OpenStackCharms/ReleaseNotes1604 <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/OpenStackCharms/ReleaseNotes1604>
Adam Collard
Mark Shuttleworth
2016-04-23 14:07:16 UTC
Perhaps the best way to test these is with the new "conjure-up
openstack" tool in Xenial. It needs a bit of beta testing (it is
exercising Juju 2.0 beta as well as LXD 2.0 quite hard!) so please bang
on it and file bugs as needed.

conjure-up is a nice thin layer on top of bundles, that basically lets
you make a walk-through of a bundle deployment with some wiggle-room for
placement and scale. If you have a bundle of a large topology, you can
thus conjure-up that bundle, giving your users the ability to use it on
LXD or on MAAS or on KVM. So in the openstack example it's a nice way to
spin up a micro-openstack on your laptop with LXD and KVM, or a
macro-openstack on MAAS, walking through each of the components in the
bundle one by one.

Mark
Adam Stokes
2016-04-23 14:09:43 UTC
We are currently working a few kinks out to have a fully turnkey solution
for Nova LXD. The option already exist but there are a few rough spots that
we are fixing today.
Adam Stokes
Mark Shuttleworth
2016-04-23 14:17:18 UTC
Also we have conjure-up.io <http://conjure-up.io> up and running as well.
Love it! This makes it really easy to add a deb package to Ubuntu that
wraps any Juju bundle.

Mark
Adam Stokes
2016-04-23 14:35:20 UTC
I don't think it's a hard rule it is just the hardware I have at the time.
I'm fixing a few things today and will test on my laptop's once I upgrade
them to xenial. I can update that section of the site once I figure out the
minimal requirements
"For localhost deployments utilizing Juju's LXD provider you will need at
least a system with 8 CPUs and 8G RAM."
Is this really 8 processors or is it cores? Even 8 cores seems excessive
and will rule out many developer laptops.
Best Regards
Mark Baker
Daniel Westervelt

John Meinel
2016-04-25 11:49:38 UTC
I'm curious if we've looked into throttling to improve things. I've done
some parallel testing in the past, and I've seen a few times where just
adding units sequentially was actually faster than parallel because of
contention.

I wonder if we might want to introduce some sort of rate limiting across
containers, so when you change something you don't have all 10 containers
wake up at the same time and try to apply that change. Though figuring out
a reasonable number that doesn't slow down results when you have enough
hardware can be tricky.

John
=:->

Mark Shuttleworth
2016-04-23 15:25:10 UTC
Post by Adam Stokes
I don't think it's a hard rule it is just the hardware I have at the
time. I'm fixing a few things today and will test on my laptop's once
I upgrade them to xenial. I can update that section of the site once I
figure out the minimal requirements
I think RAM is much more likely to be critical than cores. We should
also advise the use of an SSD because IO is a big bottleneck when you
are firing up many containers at the same time.

Mark
Adam Stokes
2016-04-23 18:43:13 UTC
I'll update the getting started requirements to include the following
(geared towards laptops):

- Use of SSD throughout
- 16G RAM
- 4x CPU
- Swap double size of RAM
- and to make use of ZFS on a separate SSD block device and recommend a
size of 100G.
Post by Mark Shuttleworth
Post by Adam Stokes
I don't think it's a hard rule it is just the hardware I have at the
time. I'm fixing a few things today and will test on my laptop's once
I upgrade them to xenial. I can update that section of the site once I
figure out the minimal requirements
I think RAM is much more likely to be critical than cores. We should
also advise the use of an SSD because IO is a big bottleneck when you
are firing up many containers at the same time.
Sorry, my last note got blocked to the list as I sent from my phone....
Here's some real data, from an actively deployed and running
conjure-up openstack instance...
- I have conjure-up working with 16GB of memory, though I'm pretty
heavily pegged (79% used), so I'd recommend some swap space in
addition (I used 32GB, which is 16% used).
- I have conjure-up working on a Thinkpad laptop, with 2xi7 cores
(hyperthreaded to 4 effective cores). I've pegged the CPU frequency
at max (2.9GHz). Idling now, I'm running at 1.32 system load (33% cpu
usage). There are over 1191 active processes running, across the host
OS and 16 LXD containers.
- I have conjure-up working with SSD storage. A small root filesystem
(20GB is plenty sufficient, and uses 4.8GB for all of my Ubuntu 16.04
LTS desktop). I used a healthily sized zpool with an SSD backed block
device (100GB allocated, 25.1GB used).
Hopefully this helps.
Dustin
Mark Shuttleworth
2016-04-23 19:42:24 UTC
Post by Adam Stokes
- 4x CPU
I think "2 cores" is a better way to describe this - they generally have
hyperthreading.

Mark
Daniel Westervelt
2016-04-23 14:47:20 UTC
Sent from my iPhone
Post by Adam Stokes
Also we have conjure-up.io up and running as well.
Love it! This makes it really easy to add a deb package to Ubuntu that wraps any Juju bundle.
Just wait till the cloud sprint, we have a lightning talk to show taking it to the next level.
Mark